My rating: 1 of 5 stars
Sloane I'm not proud of the things I've done. The things I've had to do. The things I've given away. but I'd give it all over again to find her. Even if I die trying, I have to find Alexis. Zeth She wants me to help her, But I won't. She wants me to save her sister, But I can't. She wants me to be her hero, But I'm not a good man. I am her damnation.
- The decadent description of the sex party was good. Sex parties / gang bangs / whatever are not my thing, but opulent costumes and masquerade balls so definitely are. So the OTT extravagance of the whole event was right up my alley.
- A++ for Callie Hart's description of Zeth's body. Fine holiday fun!
- One of the first chapters... Zeth got shot at close range, with a 50 calibre handgun. Not only did this not kill him, or floor him, or put him out of commission - he still managed to beat an unwounded person to a bloody pulp afterwards, then walk out. I literally had to check the book synopsis after reading this bit, and make sure I wasn't reading paranormal fiction. It was bizarre.
- The h prostitutes herself for info she doesn't get, then the H walks out. Fine. I read some pretty dark stuff, I get it. The very next chapter happens 2 YEARS later. Nobody did any damn thing to find the missing sister, over whom the whole prostitution situation was manipulated.
- So many holes in the story. The H randomly spots this woman at the hospital, stalks her, then coincidentally runs into a PI bragging about pimping her out. What?
- What exactly makes either of these characters special? I didn't get it.
- The H is a douche. An arrogant, evil, in-love-with-himself douche that any shrink could tell you had massive self-esteem and abuse issues. None of it was hot.
- The chemistry was not strong in this one. She spent most of her time whimpering, being scared, and pretending she didn't want him, and he spent most of his time trying to scare her, wanting to use his knife on her, and giving us inner monologue about his big dick.
- It was all a bit rapey, even though it actually wasn't. From her body being sold to the highest bidder, to him taking her virginity, to grabbing her by the throat in her place of work and kissing her, to the knife incident at his orgy, to pretty much everything that came after.
- The worst part, for me, was when the h goes to the orgy and does the dirty dirty, then flips out the next morning. She has a full on tantrum at the H, blaming him for what she did. He gave her plenty of chances to leave, and she wanted to be there. She chose to be there. She chose, hell, begged, for him to do the things he did. Then in the morning she got all indignant and said she was only trying to get information about her sister. Her sister who she hasn't been looking for for 2. Whole. Years.
- And it's a cliffhanger. A cliffhanger novella. Why can't authors just write one full length novel, rather than cliffhanger novellas? Gah!
If it wasn't such a short book, I'd have DNF'd it. As it stands, it was a super quick read and I still resorted to skimming. Neither leading character was likeable. 2 stars because it wasn't as despicable as FSOG, Twilight, the Hacker series whos author I can't remember, or the Gideon books.